Please read the redundancy fact sheet from the Department for Work & Pensions for details of all the support you can access after being made redundant.
On this page you can:
The redundancy support process
You will have a meeting with Futures For You to discuss:
- your skills, experience, and qualifications
- what training you can access to improve your chances of finding work
- how you could change career
After this meeting you will be referred to at least one of the services below.
Redundancy Support Services
|Skills Support for Redundancy
(SSR) by Serco
- skills training (including digital skills)
- Apprenticeship training (variety of courses)
- Basic Accounting Level 1
- English Speaking as a Second Language (ESOL)
- Maths and English (available online)
- Online Training including Healthcare, Counselling, Mental Health courses
|City College Peterborough
- English Speaking as a Second Language (ESOL)
- Online training in a variety of subjects including Business Administration, Retail and Customer Service
|Futures For You
- careers guidance
- CV writing
- preparing for interviews
- searching and applying for jobs
- Support from City College Peterborough & Peterborough College
- CV writing workshops and 1-2-1 meetings with experienced National Careers Advisors
- Workshops to help people prepare for the workplace
- Free Level 1 and 2 programmes in Care, Childcare, Teaching and Support Workers and Business Skills
- Free English language, maths and computer courses
- Adult apprenticeships in a range of business areas
- Care Academy to support you taking the first steps into a career in care, with an introduction qualification in Adult Care and 15 standards of the Care certificate.
City College Peterborough
Workplace training courses in Peterborough (citycollegepeterborough.ac.uk)
Call 01733 761361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 0345 872 8722 or email email@example.com
Mental Health & Wellbeing
- City College Peterborough: Coping emotionally with redundancy. A workshop to look at how redundancy can affect your emotions and offer you techniques to cope with these so that you can move forward confidently into new employment.
- Advice on coping with redundancy from Mind, the mental health charity.
CV Writing and Finding Work
This is managed through Futures for You – appointments can be made quickly via 0800 917 9419 or further enquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Careers Information, Advice and Guidance with qualified careers advisers at the National Careers Service. This includes job search support, CV support and interview preparation with the most up to date labour market information, plus job applications and assessments, cover letters, career changes, skills development and more.
- Workshops/career clinics can be carried out with support from the specialist advisors. These include 1-1 meetings and a skills health check to see which transferable skills you have and could use in a new job. You can also discuss any further training for you to gain new qualifications.
- Searching and applying for jobs – support with CV writing, covering letters and personal application forms, job searching techniques, as well as interview and presentation skills.
Click here to apply for this support online.
New Start is also holding CV and interview skills workshops throughout April – July. Click on the images on the right:
Qualifications and Training
- National Careers Service
- Peterborough College
- City College Peterborough
- Skills Support for Redundancy (Serco)
- Anglia Professional Training (APT)
National Careers Service
Skills and training needs analysis and support on accessing funding to re-train following redundancy which is only available via the National Careers Service, as well as support finding other training and qualifications through other providers.
If you would like to discuss re-training or how to access re-training funding, please call 0800 917 9419 to book an appointment.
APT also offers a certified level one qualification in basic accounting
certified level one qualification in basic accounting along with preparing for interviews and CV writing. These courses are fully funded and will not cost anything for the student. Learning will be done via an online portal during lockdown.
City College Peterborough
Read the City College Course Guide Jan – Mar 2021
Skills Support for Redundancy (SSR) from Serco
SSR is an initiative designed to support individuals that have been made redundant within the last three months. The team works with individuals to identify the best sources of support to help them get back into the workforce including:
- skills training
A wide range of training is on offer to help individuals upskill or retrain:
- IT and digital skills (please see details about the NCFE Certification in Digital Skills for Work below)
- Business administration
- Customer service
- Team leading and project management
- Health and social care
- Warehousing and storage
- Starting your own business.
The SSR programme is co-financed by the Education & Skills Funding Agency and European Social Fund, which means that the training can be accessed for free.
The NCFE Certification in Digital Skills for Work covers:
- Unit 1: Find and use information – how to source reliable and credible information using the internet using key evaluation factors.
- Unit 2: Safety and security when using data and digital services – review of the different security threats when using devices and steps to take to secure our data and identity. to prevent fraud.
- Unit 3: Communicating and collaborating online – appropriate use of language online and how to combat cyber-bullying, use of emails, use of professional and personal social network platforms and business video conferencing.
- Unit 4: Using word processing software – how to create and edit a variety of different types of documents.
- Unit 5: Using a computer – shortcut keys, use of preferences and safe use of device.
SSR also offers online training in the following subjects:
Anglia Professional Training (APT)
APT is running fully-funded AAT (Accountancy) courses coming for anyone who is over 19, unemployed and looking for work, or earning under £17,004 per year.
More information can be found using the links below. The courses are run 9:30 am – 4:30 pm at the APT centre (visit the website here: https://apt4u.training/)
Enrolments are taking place on 29th April 2021. All enquiries welcome to email@example.com or Direct dial: 07928 664 364 (Monday-Friday 9-5pm).
Start a Career in Health and Social Care
The Health and Social Care Work Academy programme is run through the DWP. It is designed for anyone that is looking to move into the Health and Care Sector. The job roles on offer are not only for carers but cover a very wide range such as administrative and other support roles. Mentors help run the courses, for more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health and care vacancies:
Ambulance Care Assistant
Country Court Care: https://www.countrycourtcare.co/careers/
Augusta Care: https://www.augustacare.co.uk/work-for-us/
Atlas Care (Indeed): https://www.indeedjobs.com/atlas-care/_hl/en?cpref=JXWAtnzf3XWjLOi4YeVNLqyMzQ_zPWPB-2Rl9RDQm1Q
Time 4 Social Care vacancy
Social care vacancies with Sixteen Plus on Indeed
There is a care vacancy at a 9 bedded residential care home in Glinton, Peterborough which is willing to train new staff. The role is 30 hours a week available (3 nights), 9.30pm – 7.30am. They need someone who can be flexible and help cover for annual leave and sickness. Duties include personal care, cleaning and care notes. Breaks are paid and overtime is available. Previous experience is preferred. Please contact Yasamine Watts for further information on 07801273804.
Live job vacancies with local employers
National job search: https://findajob.dwp.gov.uk/
Click on the business names and job titles below to view job descriptions.
View jobs from our Bondholder Network (various roles in and around Peterborough)
Retail, customer services, and sales
The Bull Hotel – Housekeeping, Food. Bar Assistant 2021, Assistant Manager, Receptionist, Night Porter
Queensgate Peterborough (queensgate-shopping.co.uk)
Yours Clothing Head Office (current-vacancies.com)
Yours Clothing – Sales Adviser/Retail Advisor – Yours Clothing Limited (current-vacancies.com)
Yours Clothing – Key Holder – Yours Clothing Limited (current-vacancies.com)
Customer Care Specialist
XL Displays – Sales Executive Job Description
Sharman Quinney – various roles
Marriott – Peterborough Vacancies
Helpdesk Operator 0421
F063 Job Description – Centre Assistant (Lifeguard)
Customer Service Sales Support Administrator – May2021
Sales Executive Job Opening in Peterborough, East of England – The Institute of Export & International Trade
Metro Bank – Customer Service Representative – Peterborough – Amazing Careers (avature.net)
Western Union | Job Details | Customer Care Senior Specialist in Peterborough, England
Marriott International Careers | Find Job & Career Opportunities
Anglian Water – Customer Services Adviser (Lincoln)
Oatly (downloads)- People and Business Partner, Engineering Manager, SHEQ Manager, Health and Safety Specialist.
Paragon – Application Form – External
Job Description – Graphic Designer – April 2021
Purchasing Manager – 12.04.2021
Production & Print Operatives – 12.04.2021.docx
Paragon – Job Description – Print Output Developer
Paragon – Job Description – All Round Finishing Operator
Management Accountant JD 0421
Moore Thompson – various financial roles
Western Union | Job Details | Sales Training Consultant in Peterborough, England
Perkins Engines (via Randstad)- production operatives and drivers
Careers | ALS Testing (als-testing.co.uk)
Search and apply | Anglian Water Careers
Jobs – Aragon Direct Services
Greater Peterborough UTC – Work at GPUTC
Anglian Water @one Alliance
Peterborough Council – Jobs and Careers – Homepage
Current Vacancies | Princebuild Ltd
The Institute of Export
Roles at Amazon
Working at IKEA
Want to set up your own business?
Opportunity Peterborough can provide free and impartial startup support. Click here to visit our startup support page. You could also join our Startup Peterborough programme for structured workshops to help you refine your business ideas and plans.
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority Growth Hub have also teamed up with YTKO to deliver a fully funded start-up course for people looking to launch, or have just launched their own business. The start-up workshops, delivered over three half day sessions, will take you through everything you need to know in order to start a sustainable, successful new business. It will be a fun, challenging, supportive and relaxed environment in equal measure, and the learning from each session will help you create or improve your business plan. Click here for more information >>