Access to skills is always a major talking point for Peterborough businesses. Opportunity Peterborough is here to help you to invest in your current workforce, access new talent and contribute to the development of your future workforce.
The city is well serviced with specialist further and higher education providers listed at the bottom of this page, and construction has begun on the £30 million ARU Peterborough, a Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority and Peterborough City Council initiative, set to open its doors to 2,000 students in 2022. The curriculum will be wholly grounded in the needs of local employers with an emphasis on providing students with industry experience. Consultations have already begun with employers – to get involved, talk to Opportunity Peterborough.
Developing Talent of the Future – The Skills Service
Opportunity Peterborough created The Skills Service to drive forward the city’s skills agenda. The Skills Service provides a brokerage role between business, education and training providers, upskilling the future workforce through careers fairs, enterprise challenges, employability workshops, and work experience placements.
In turn, the employers who support careers events can develop their future talent pipeline, increase brand awareness as a local employer and provide professional development and CSR opportunities for their current staff.
It’s grown into a national service that’s helping schools enhance careers education, giving students high impact employer interactions that improve their employability, and helping businesses develop their talent pipeline.
Find out how The Skills Service can help you grow your business here.
Leadership and mentoring
With so many changes happening around the world, leadership is a critical skillset employers are looking to develop within their existing workforce, and from new recruits. There are a number of national programmes which businesses can access such as Be the Business, and the Small Business Leadership Programme. Opportunity Peterborough can also discuss your needs and put you in touch local specialist providers to suit your industry or workforce goals.
Taking on more staff? Whether you want to post your vacancy on our jobs page, access graduates and students, find a suitable agency workers or find out more about working with people with disabilities, ex-service personnel or ex-offenders, Opportunity Peterborough can help. We can also signpost to the professional service providers which are best able to meet your requirements. Contact us for free support.
Training and development
Investing in your existing workforce is one of the most effective ways of improving your business prospects. Look after your employees, nurture their ambitions and they will repay you in hard work, innovative new ideas and loyalty.
To discuss your training and development requirements contact Opportunity Peterborough.
There has never been a better time to consider taking on an Apprentice. You can employ apprentices at different levels, from school leavers and university graduates, to people who want to further their careers or change career direction completely.
The government has committed to creating an additional 3 million apprenticeship start in England by 2020. There is funding available through:
- Apprenticeship Levy – payable by employers with a paybill over £3 million. Smaller businesses who do not pay the levy can still access it to part-fund apprentices in their organisation.
- Kickstart Scheme – provides funding to create new job placements for 16 to 24 year olds on Universal Credit who are at risk of long term unemployment.
You can read more about these on The Skills Service’s website.
The new university in Peterborough, ARU Peterborough will also provide higher level apprenticeships, and has begun consultation with local employers to ensure the curriculum supports the local economy and provides students with hands-on, high impact experiences in the workplace.
Did you know?
- Apprenticeships can be used to train fresh new talent and re-skill existing staff to tackle skill shortages.
- The mixture of on and off the job training ensures apprentices learn the skills that work best for your business and you can tailor the training to your needs.
- They offer mentoring opportunities for your existing staff.
- That 86% of employers said apprenticeships helped them develop skills relevant to their organisation?
- That 78% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve productivity?
- That 74% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve the quality of their product or service?
For more information contact Opportunity Peterborough’s Skills Service for free, impartial guidance.
Further and Higher Education Providers