For impartial, free of charge support for your business, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retailers, please note: To help manage the number of visitors to the city centre, businesses are being encouraged to stagger their opening hours so they open at 10.00am and close at 6.00pm.
On this page:
Is your business COVID-19 secure?
For workspace specific guidance from government, visit the business support hub on the gov.uk website.
For expert guidance on risk assessments visit the Health & Safety Executive’s website.
Peterborough City Council has provided guidance online for businesses to help them stay COVID-19 safe : https://www.peterborough.gov.uk/healthcare/public-health/coronavirus/coronavirus-covid-19-support-and-advice-for-business
Show your customers and staff your business is compliant using the government’s checklist:
- We have carried out a COVID-19 risk assessment and shared the results with the people who work here
- We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with guidance
- We have taken all reasonable steps to help people work from home
- We have taken all reasonable steps to maintain a 2m distance in the workplace
- Where people cannot be 2m apart, we have done everything practical to manage transmission risk
This can be found on page 7 of the “Working safely during COVID-19 in shops and branches” guidance.
Hospitality and Visitor Economy
The government has published new guidance for hotels and other accommodation, attractions, business events and consumer shows to make their premises safe for staff and visitors.
Additional guidance for businesses in the visitor economy can be found from Visit England:
Ongoing support for city businesses
Your questions answered: Businesses reopening in the Peterborough can use the closed Facebook group to highlight challenges to the City Council, discuss issues, access support, tackle problems together, and share best practice. The group was begun to support city centre retailers, but is open to any business reopening after lockdown.
The group is being moderated by Peterborough City Council, Opportunity Peterborough and Peterborough Positive Moderators will aim to respond to questions within 2 working days.
Join the group here.
Trading Standards & Environmental Health: For more information and advice on business closures, social distancing and hygiene, visit www.peterborough.gov.uk/covid-business.
Business support and development, perspex screens and PPE: For additional business support around skills development, recruitment, general business development, and funding and grant opportunities, contact Opportunity Peterborough: email@example.com or call 01733 317417.
Reassure customers and get your business noticed
To encourage people back to the city centre, we want to help share what local businesses are doing to help visitors socially distance, and share good practice among local companies to keep staff safe.
Tag us on social media or send us a photo with details of your business:
Peterborough Community Radio is also giving local businesses free airtime to help them keep customers informed of their plans – whether you’re preparing to open, have moved some services online, have changed your offer, or just want to thank your loyal customers. Details can be found here.
Making Peterborough city centre COVID-19 safe
Peterborough City Council is taking the following steps to make the city centre COVID-19 secure for visitors:
- Widening pavements and bike lanes to help pedestrians/cyclists – this will involve cordoning off off-street parking
- Installing new bicycle parking
- Council owned car parks will remain free of charge until 30 June.
- Visitors will be asked to adhere to Government guidelines and walk or cycle into the city wherever possible
- Considering pedestrianising parts of the city centre
- Removing some street furniture to create more space
- Introducing an open-air ‘cafe-style’ culture across the city for restaurants/cafes when they are allowed to open again
- Turning off the Cathedral Square fountains to create more space
- Installing clear signage and floor/seat markings to help people know where to stand
- Improving cleaning of the city centre – Including a daily deep-clean hotwash
- Hand santising stations throughout the city centre
- Ensuring disabled people can access shopping areas
You can get a preview of some of the artwork, and feed back on additional measures that could help further improve safety around the city centre in the closed Facebook Group for city centre businesses.
Accessing PPE equipment and perspex screens
To help businesses source PPE equipment and perspex screens to keep their staff and visitors safe, Opportunity Peterborough is working with the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Combined Authority to identify local providers where possible.
For support accessing PPE equipment, please contact Opportunity Peterborough directly – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local perspex screen suppliers
Peterborough City Council can provide the below signage within two days’ turnaround free of charge. Artwork can be provided on encapsulated paper to make it more durable. Alternatively you can download the print-ready PDFs.
If you would like order any of the below printed materials, or floor stickers for indoor use please email: email@example.com
Download the below signage in A3
Download the below signage in A4