POSITION: Marketing & Communications Specialist
REPORTING TO: CEO
SALARY: £38,000 pro rata
CONTRACT TERM: 22.5hrs per week. 9 month contract (maternity cover).
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join Opportunity Peterborough on a short term contract to lead and deliver the company’s marketing and communications programmes.
ABOUT OPPORTUNITY PETERBOROUGH
Opportunity Peterborough was founded in 2005 as an urban regeneration company. Five years later our remit evolved to lead the city’s economic development. We’re a private not-for-profit business, wholly owned by Peterborough City Council.
As an economic development company, Opportunity Peterborough works to support businesses and grow our economy. Our core responsibilities include: marketing Peterborough to businesses to attract inward investment, engaging with local companies to support their growth and development, and leading the city’s skills agenda to ensure our current and future talent pool is trained and work-ready. We also deliver a range of projects to boost the local economy and support Peterborough’s aspiration to create the UK’s environment capital.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To plan and deliver effective marketing and communications programmes that meet their objectives and raise the profile of Opportunity Peterborough and the city of Peterborough with key stakeholders.
Line manager and coach to the Interim Marketing & Communications Manager.
This role requires a strategic approach and high level of expertise across the marketing and communications mix, but with hands-on delivery of tactical activity within a busy department.
- Work with the CEO and Interim Marketing & Communications Manager to develop and execute a corporate integrated communications plan that supports business objectives and increases awareness of Opportunity Peterborough’s services and projects with media, businesses and strategic stakeholders.
- Provide expertise and advice to project managers and delivery teams about strategic communication issues relevant to their projects to support objectives and engage with primary stakeholders.
- Provide marketing and communications support to Opportunity Peterborough’s external clients and support in the delivery of commercial communications activity.
- Line manage and provide coaching support to the Interim Marketing & Communications Manager to ensure they are supported in their role and professional development.
- Project manage Opportunity Peterborough’s corporate partnership programme, including driving new membership, organising the events calendar and producing newsletters, through to key account management of all corporate members.
- Ensure both corporate and project-level key messages are effective and support Opportunity Peterborough’s corporate position and drive business development. Ensure consistent use across all strands of activity and communication channels.
- Build relationships with key journalists to secure proactive media coverage – both on and offline – and respond to incoming media enquiries promptly, linking to wider Opportunity Peterborough projects and services or city opportunities where appropriate.
- Create high quality content and manage production of a range of marketing communications including brochures, case studies, press releases, blog posts, articles and newsletters. Where appropriate, liaise with external agencies to generate best-value collateral.
- Manage content on various Opportunity Peterborough websites and ensure the sites are engaging and optimised for the user experience. Work with the external web agency to develop sites, as required.
- Effectively utilise appropriate social media channels to support integrated communications activity.
- Manage the department’s allocated budget. Monitor the impact of all corporate communications and adjust activity accordingly to ensure the best possible outcome and return on investment.
- Report to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis and to the CEO each month.
- Provide input from a marketing and communications perspective to Opportunity Peterborough’s senior management team meetings, as required.
- Work to corporate identity guidelines to ensure the Opportunity Peterborough brand is presented correctly and consistently.
- Work proactively across all departments and teams to ensure cross-working opportunities are maximised and Opportunity Peterborough’s profile represents the full breadth of services and projects delivered.
- Carry out any additional tasks as reasonably requested by the Chief Executive.
- Proven experience of delivering planned and targeted communication strategies that make an impact and deliver high quality results
- High level of expertise across the marketing and communications mix
- Able to easily adapt from providing strategic level advice to being very hands-on with delivering tactical activity
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills and ability to produce engaging, compelling content for use across various channels
- Excellent project management skills
- Proven track record of working effectively with journalists and securing high quality, positive media coverage
- Initiative and enthusiasm and ability to work autonomously
- Able to build good rapport with colleagues, direct reports and senior management alike
- Ability to multi-task, work to tight deadlines and deliver results
- Ability to communicate confidently and professionally with people at all levels
- Experience of digital communications
- Willingness to occasionally work early mornings or late evenings during the working week to deliver business events.
- A graduate in marketing, communications or similar discipline, or CIPR or CIM qualified
- Experience of using content management systems, preferably WordPress
- Experience of using a CRM system would be advantageous
- Excellent IT skills
- Understanding of the external environment in which Opportunity Peterborough operates
- Driving licence and use of own car would be helpful.
Please send your CV with a cover letter detailing how you fit the requirements of the role to:
Post: Laura Chambers, Opportunity Peterborough
1st Floor, Allia Future Business Centre, London Road, Peterborough, PE2 8AN
For any queries relating to the post, please call 01733 317 417
Closing date for applications: 5pm on 21st February 2017
Interviews to be held on: 1st March 2017
Appointments will be made by fair and open processes, taking account of equal opportunities.